Lawyers Helping Modify Family Court Orders in SE Mass.

Most court orders arising from divorce involving child support, child custody and parenting plans can be changed (modified). Our Seekonk family law team helps parents modify court orders involving their children. Our family law attorneys help clients understand the different scenarios that can lead to a successful modification effort.

What You Need to Know About Modifying Family Court Orders in Massachusetts

Needing to modify an existing family court order in Massachusetts is fairly common. However, obtaining the modification is not guaranteed It is important to know the circumstances under which a court order can be changed. These include:

  • An increase or decrease in parental income
  • A change in the child’s needs
  • A change in the conditions of parenting
  • New medical issues
  • Beginning or ending of temporary orders
  • A change in a parent’s work schedule
  • One parent wishes to move out of town or out of state and wants to take the child along
  • A support-paying spouse wants to end alimony payments because the other ex-spouse remarries
  • A modification of child custody or visitation that can trigger a modification of child support
  • Previously ordered health insurance is no longer available or is excessively costly
  • An inconsistency between support determined by the support calculator and support amount in the existing order

Depending on the kind of modification you seek, you may face an uphill battle, but our legal team will be fighting for the best possible outcome every step of the way. In our experience, parental relocation cases are particularly difficult, but whatever the type of modification requested, you need an experienced family law attorney on your side to build a compelling case that the change is in your child’s best interests.

Special Concerns About Parental Relocation

If you are currently the court-ordered primary custodial parent, if you want to relocate out of state and the other parent objects, parent contests the move you will need to fight the objection in Bristol County Family Court. The judge will consider many factors, including:

  • Whether the child will have adequate educational opportunities
  • Family financial stability
  • Ability after a move to maintain a relationship with the other parent
  • Contact and relationships with extended family and friends

Enforcing Existing Family Court Orders

Getting a court order for child support or alimony is one thing; getting the other party to adhere to their part of the agreement can be quite another. Our lawyers work hard to get relief for clients in cases involving:

  • Nonpayment of child support – garnishing wages or tax refunds
  • Problems with court-ordered visitation with a child
  • Failure to provide health insurance for a child as specified in a custody agreement
  • Failure to pay alimony or to turn over property specified in a divorce decree
  • Failure to divide a pension

Addressing problems such as these requires the parties to go before a judge to get relief. We know the workings of the Bristol County Family Court and other family courts in the Commonwealth, and will everything possible to resolve the matter.

Our legal team has significant trial court experience. That means that if an effort to change a court order needs to be heard in court, our lawyers and staff are ready. Call Anchor Family Law in Seekonk at 508-557-1138 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation about a modification.